Monday, November 24, 2014

The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway



Well I know you have all been dying to know where I got transferred so here we go.  I am in the zone farthest north called Huaraz.  It is the promised land of the mission.  Everyone wants to come here because it´s really pretty.  And it is.  It´s the sierra, so there are mountains, and it´s green.  It´s 10,000 feet above sea level.  So I get winded pretty easily, and I also got a nasty bloody nose the other day.  But it´s a bit tourist destination, so it´s more modern than my last area.  And it´s pretty cold.  I got to Peru in the middle of winter, and summer was just starting in my last area, but here, winter just began, so my mission just became Frozen.  I´m going to be in an eternal winter.  Because by the time I get transferred, winter will be starting again in the south.
  My companion is from Panama too.  Her name is Hermana Flores and has been in the mission for about a year and is 21.  Apparently I have something to learn from Panama.
  Adjusting was a bit  of a challenge.  We don´t have a water heater here, so we get luke warm showers, with death shower heads. (Look up pictures on google).  And then, the other day, I lost my wallet with 90 soles.  I was really more concerned about the wallet, because it was really cool and I got it for 3 soles.  So, I had to buy a new one which everything is more expensive here, so that´s a bummer. 
  Other big news, I taught my first piano lesson on Friday.  I´ve never taught piano before, and I had no idea what I was doing, but it went fairly well.  They just learn songs.  So I taught them the first half of silent night.  It went fairly well.  There are even more drunk people here, or people who drink in general, so a lot of the families we find are receptive, but the dad doesn´t want to listen because he doesn´t want to stop drinking. 

I´d send pictures, but this computer won´t let me.  Maybe next week.  Until then, hope all is well with everyone.  Stay Golden.

I had mentioned that she probably wouldn't be celebrating Thanksgiving and here is her reply: 


Oh and a side note.  I will be having Thanksgiving dinner here.  There is an senior couple here from the states and they arranged for two of the districts that are here close to have a nice dinner on Thursday.  The district up north has a senior couple from the states as well so I assume they will do that there.  That´s one benefit of being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment